A Brief History of the Faculty of Maritime Studies
Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
The earliest record of the Faculty of Maritime Studies.
It is founded as the Austro-Hungarian Naval Academy, and remains in the premises of the city hospital till 1914.
The Academy grows into the Imperial and Royal Naval Academy (Marine Akademie).
At the outbreak of the First World War the Academy is closed and moved from Rijeka to Vienna.
Along with others less acclaimed graduates, Croatian Admiral Maximilian Njegovan (1858-1930), and one of the most famous officers of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, and the first commander of the new State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs navy, Admiral Janko pl. Vuković – Podkapelski (1871-1918) also study at the Academy.
The Academy ceases its educational activities and is turned into a field hospital.
After the dismemberment of the Empire, the field hospital grows into the principal city hospital.
A decree issued by the Government of the Federal People’s Republic of Yugoslavia on 4th April secures the continuity of maritime education and training. The College of Maritime Studies is founded.
In following years, the now founded College of Maritime Studies develops into the Faculty of Maritime Studies, one of the world's leading maritime education and training institutions.
The Faculty After 1949
Faculty of Maritime Studies and Transport is founded.
Rijeka College of Maritime Studies and the University Department of Maritime Studies, University of Rijeka are founded.
The Minister of the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Republic of Croatia signs a Decision on the merge of Rijeka College of Maritime Studies and the University Department of Maritime Studies into the Faculty of Maritime Studies, University of Rijeka.